Supporting Carers

Do you have a family member or friend caring for you?

Caring is rewarding, but it can also be very demanding. Sometimes carers also need help and support.


What is Home Care for?

The HACC and Home Care Packages programs also provide funding to support the unpaid carers of those who are eligible care-recipients!


How we support carers

Care Assess provides independent Care Coordination in order to make the most of available services there to help you; this means we aim to
increase support for carers.

We want to support you to access the help you need; we can do this by helping you understand what supports are available to you, and by referring you to a
provider who is funded to support you with the help you need.


Carers Tasmania

We want all of our care-recipients’ carers to access the information and support available from Carers Tasmania, where appropriate, They are a local
organisation for carers of people who are frail aged or have a chronic condition, a disability or a mental illness.

Let us know if we can facilitate a referral for you so you can benefit from their help!

Support they offer includes:

  • Carer Advisory – connects carers with local health community support services
  • Talking It Over – speak in person or by phone to one of their qualified team; they offer encouragement, support, and ideas
  • Carer Education and Training – workshops and information sessions to equip you in your caring role
  • Young Carers Program – Age appropriate information and support for young carers.
  • Carer Support Groups

Call them on 1800 242 636


Respite Care

Carers sometimes need support and help in order to take a break; for example, if carers are ill or recovering from an illness.

Tell us if you think you or the person you are looking after may need respite care; we will help you access support from your local doctor, your Aged Care
Assessment Team, a HACC Provider funded to deliver Respite Care, or our local Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre.

For emergency respite call 1800 052 222.


Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centres

Centres provide information about services for older people, people with a disability, and those who provide care. Centres can also help carers with
options to take a break through short-term and emergency respite services (based on assessed need). They can also provide advice and coordinate access to
respite services in a carer’s local area.

Call your nearest Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre on 1800 052 222.


Carer Information Packs

Ask us for a copy of the Carer Information Pack, which provides practical information to support carers in their caring role (Multilingual
versions are available).

You can also obtain a copy by:

  • Download
  • Phoning My Aged Care on 1800 200 422
  • Phoning National Mailing and Marketing on (02) 6269 1080


Financial Assistance

You may be eligible for financial assistance such as Carer Allowance or Carer Payment that are available through Centrelink.

Call Centrelink on 132 717


More about carers support

More information is available on the Department of Social Service’s website. Navigating to:

  • “For Health Professional”
  • “Aged care”
  • “Community Care”
  • “Support for Carers”